From branding and marketing on a corporate level to sharing her knowledge with all of you.
Krista Neher was one of the first to know social media was going to be an integral part of everyone’s life, so she got a head start. Having run one of the first successful corporate Twitter accounts and gaining a vast amount of knowledge in social media working with companies such as Google, Macy’s, and GE, her Boot Camp Digital company trains your digital marketing into shape.
I caught up with Krista in between her class training, consulting meetings, and raising her two young boys. Here’s the scoop:
CEO Bootcamp Digital — International Keynote Speaker and Bestselling Author
Based out of Cincinnati Ohio.
Can you tell us a story about what brought you to this specific career path?
I had worked at a Fortune 500 company and left to run marketing for an Internet Startup back in 2006. I fell in love with social media marketing and the quick-pace and action of a startup. After the startup sold I wanted to help other businesses to see the same success that I had. I followed my passion for helping businesses succeed and that led me to start Boot Camp Digital. The best part of what I do is that it centers on helping other businesses grow.
When did the entrepreneur light bulb go off?
I never really set out to be an entrepreneur. I followed my passions and the market. I was trying to decide my next move and had a job offer when I started getting social media training and consulting requests. I still remember my first client — I was like “wow — people will pay me for this?!?!?!”. I didn’t even really “decide” to start a business until a year in when I had 3 big clients. I worked hard, positioned myself well and followed the demand.
What advice would you give other women wanting to start a biz?
Just start. There are SO MANY REASONS not to. Even if it is small. Don’t start with a logo or a website or a business plan. Start doing. See if people will pay you for what it is you want to do. Find small and easy ways to gain traction before you invest big. Everything you need to start a business is really accessible — so there is no reason not to go for it. Don’t let anything hold you back.
How do you bring goodness to the world?
My mission is to inspire and empower businesses to succeed. Every business is in the business of marketing. We are all marketers. When businesses succeed, we all succeed.
None of us are able to achieve success without some adversity along the way. Is there a particular person who you are grateful towards who helped get you to where you are?
There are so many people who helped me along the way. Success is a strange combination of talent, passion, hard work, luck, and other people. To this day so many people help and have helped me — often to see in me what I can’t see in myself. In my earlier days, Joe Morin taught me how to make myself sound like a big deal when networking. Mark Homer convinced me to write a book. Mike Grehan and Brett Tabke invited me to speak at their conferences. Saul Colt hooked me up with so many opportunities. You pushed me with opportunities and to think about my business. All of this was only in my first few years!!! So many people — in big and small ways. Today my team pushes me to do more. Even my clients push me by telling me what they really want and what their problems are.
Five Leadership Lessons I Learned From My Experience?
- #ThinkImpact — This is my mantra in my personal life and business. Focus on the most impactful items and try to avoid things that don’t have an impact. When I looked at how I spent my personal time and my professional priorities I realized I wasn’t spending time on what mattered. Now I try to #ThinkImpact in everything. This is how I try to focus my efforts.
- Be Transparent — It is faster and easier to be transparent with people. Just be honest and open — most people are reasonable and appreciate it.
- Say NO More — Most of us don’t like to say no. We want to do it all. We want to say yes to every client and every opportunity. Saying no to people and opportunities was hard for me — but by saying no more I freed up my time to say yes more to the things that really mattered. Turn down clients that aren’t a good fit. Turn down things that waste your time. Say no to people who drag you down.
- Focus on Process — Process is what will take your business to the next level and allow you to scale. Spend time figuring out how to do something well and then build a process around it. A process can be scaled and replicated. A process is how you do things best every time. Invest more time in the process and you’ll get more time in the long run.
- Invest in Yourself — Invest in yourself, your training and your inspiration. Sometimes we get so focused on doing that we forget to sharpen our saw and invest in ourselves. One of my main goals this year is to get inspired by others and to spend more time listening to podcasts and going to conferences and workshops that will help me grow. Coaching and masterminds are also great. You are your own best asset — never hesitate to invest in yourself.
Favorite “Life Lesson Quote” ✒️
“The most effective way to do it is to do it.” Amelia Earhart — I think we all have reasons to hesitate or not act. We worry about perfection and putting ourselves out there. Do it.
Is there a person in the world whom you would love to have a private breakfast or lunch with, and why?
You. I need more time with friends who energize and inspire me.
I rock at Karaoke.
Libras are also very oriented toward people and negotiation, so they are suited to the following careers in Public Relations & Marketing. Surprise surprise!
The motto is “I balance,” and the sign seeks harmony in all things, whether it is a relationship, music or the colors in her environment! The seventh sign of the zodiac is also considered one of the courteous astrological signs. Libra is an expert in social graces, and along with Gemini, Virgo and Aquarius favors intellectual discussions.
While this sign has many positive traits, one potential pitfall is the need to go through life with rose-colored glasses. Libra is naturally optimistic and will often look on the bright side of things, even when other factors say otherwise.
Where will social media in five years ⏰
Social media hasn’t really changed much in the last five years, and I expect it will look similar in the next five. Messenger and chatbots will start to become more relevant and video will continue to dominate. The big platforms won’t change, but their advertising platforms will continue to grow in sophistication.
Favorite Drink Order? ☕️
Coffee + Milk. Nothing Fancy.
Favorite Instagram Account?
364k Followers, 64 Following, 765 Posts – See Instagram photos and videos from Marie Forleo (@marieforleo)www.instagram.com
My phone? I’m low tech.
Favorite Way to Decompress?
Women You Admire?
So many in different ways. Arianna Huffington keeps it real. Anne Handley is a writing genius. I could go on…
View Krista Neher’s profile on LinkedIn, the world’s largest professional community. Krista has 8 jobs listed on their….linkedin.com
What are you most excited about for 2019? Share something you want to promote or latest news/launches for your brand.
I have a NEW Book (my 5th!!!!) launching soon. Digital Marketing that actually works — it is focused on the foundations of digital marketing that get results with both strategy and tactics. Also, our first Advanced Digital Marketing Boot Camp that I am traveling back to the US to lead — the first time in three years I’m teaching a class!!! In San Francisco in March — https://bootcampdigital.com/advanced/.
Action breeds results, and that’s what you can expect from Krista and her Boot Camp Digital training and certifications company.
This post by Lisa Buyer originally published on Medium’s Authority Magazine, a publication by Yitzi Weiner.
About Female Disruptors
Female Disruptors is a passion project by Lisa Buyer, designed to spotlight women who are disruptors in their space. You don’t need a bestselling book to be a female disruptor—you need passion, vision, focus, compassion, determination and a burning desire to share this with the world.
Spark your ambition with more inspirational stories of women breaking down barriers: